A site by and for social media enthusiasts who might otherwise prefer to blend into the crowd...

Thursday, April 26, 2012

LinkedIn, Privacy, and Being an Introvert


I recently wrote an article on Social Media Sun on LinkedIn and privacy, and after rereading it, I started thinking about what this might mean for introverts.

Personally, I have trouble ‘putting myself out there’. I was always rather shy in school, and as an adult, I do great in small groups, but in large groups I clam up. Networking events overwhelm me. It is very tempting to keep myself hidden.

So what does this mean when it comes to privacy? It means I got a little tingly when I clicked the liberal settings on my profile, even though I logically new the benefits, and knew there wasn’t really anything new I was revealing. How are introverts supposed to get over this fear?

**********

For me, introversion means thinking that few people are going to care what I have to say or what I have done. It is much easier to never come out than to come out and face criticism. But without risking criticism, we really sell ourselves short. Introverts in general tend to think things over very thoroughly before acting, and are often very conscientious. We have a great deal to offer the business world in whatever field we may be.

Think of it this way. Networking on LinkedIn is in many ways easier for introverts that networking in person. When you message someone new, you have plenty of time to think over what you want to say and how you want to say it. You have the opportunity to network on your own terms, and not worry about having your mind go blank or stammering.

Be confident in your skills and think about what you have to offer people, and remember that on LinkedIn, most of what you are sharing the internet already knows, you are just consolidating it. Allow other people to review your profile and see the value you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment